Press Release Archive
- Kudos to the CFPB on public complaint proposal. Consumer Action applauds a proposal by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to allow consumers to opt to publicize details of their consumer complaints.
- New coalition forms to serve transitioning vets’ financial needs (Veterans Financial Coalition educates and advocates on behalf of military returning to civilian life).
Washington, DC—A diverse group of organizations today announced the formation of a new coalition to address the needs and unique financial challenges military veterans…
- Consumer Action offers new Class Action Database (Free service keeps consumers apprised of notable cases and settlements). Our new Class Action Database allows consumers to see upcoming claims deadlines and to click through to official class action materials and settlement information.
- Government shutdown's impact on consumer protection (Letter urges members of Congress to find resolution ).
WASHINGTON, DC – A coalition of leading consumer groups today sent a letter to Members of Congress calling out the lapses in consumer protection…
- Consumers score a big win at the CFPB.
Senate confirmation of Richard Cordray as director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is good news for American consumers, said Consumer Action, which has…
- Consumer groups call on President and Congress to pursue strong consumer agenda.
WASHINGTON, D.C. - In joint letters to President Obama and Congressional leaders, eight of the nation’s leading consumer organizations urged policymakers to pursue a…
- Privacy and consumer groups' statement of support for CFPB data use.
Center for Digital Democracy * Consumer Action* Consumer Federation of America * Consumer Watchdog * Privacy Rights Clearinghouse * Privacy Times * U.S.PIRG…
- U.S. Senate stands with consumers on financial reform. U.S. Senate passes comprehensive financial reform
- Financial Reform spells a win for consumers. The U.S. House and Senate conference committee passed a final bill today that includes a bureau devoted exclusively to consumer financial protection. “Consumer Action has…
- Consumer Action Anniversary and Awards. To mark its 39th year of education and advocacy, Consumer Action celebrates today with a party and awards ceremony in San Francisco.
- Consumer Action nationwide survey of financial literacy programs (Financial literacy programs in local communities have continued need for printed materials). Consumer Action, a national non-profit consumer education and advocacy organization, has published the results of a survey of community-based organizations (CBOs) titled "Implementation of Community-based…
- California coalition sets August legislative priorities. Nine consumer rights organizations, including Consumer Action, have sent a letter the California Legislature outlining pro-consumer legislative priorities during the final month of the 2009…
- Stipends help make communities MoneyWi$e (Consumer Action and Capital One provide small grants to local groups for consumer education).
San Francisco — (March 31, 2009) – National consumer advocacy group Consumer Action and Capital One Financial Corporation (NYSE: COF) announced today that their…
- New website provides consumer education on insurance (Consumer Action debuts Insurance-Education.org 'sub site'). Consumer Action’s new Insurance Education website (www.insurance-education.org) is a free online clearinghouse for educational materials about the multitude of consumer insurance products and the need…
- Poll finds consumers concerned about credit in current economy (Most Americans want to avoid taking on new debt in next 12 months, study says). A new poll released today by Consumer Action finds that consumers are beginning to feel strain in the current economy, and that many are changing how they use and plan to use credit.
- CA to Congress: Protect homeowners and taxpayers (Consumer Action calls for accountability in the bailout plan). As Congress decides how and if they should toss a trillion dollar life preserver to the sinking financial services industry today, Consumer Action (CA) urges…
- MoneyWi$e goes to Louisiana (Capital One and Consumer Action sponsor free financial literacy trainings). New Orleans — National consumer advocacy group Consumer Action and Capital One Financial Corporation announced that their joint MoneyWi$e financial literacy partnership will provide two…
- House holds financial literacy hearing (Consumer Action statement added to the hearing record). The House Financial Services Committee, chaired by Rep. Barney Frank, today holds a hearing on financial literacy and education to examine the effectiveness of governmental…
- U.S. Senate ignores help for homeowners. Consumer Action joined other consumer, civil rights and housing groups in opposing the Senate's formula for homeowners on the brink of foreclosure. Consumer Action and…
- Anti-predatory lending advice in Spanish (Consumer Action helps Americans for Fairness in Lending target Spanish-speakers). Americans for Fairness in Lending (AFFIL) announced today that it has launched a new Spanish-language website [http://www.affil.org/es] to help counter…
- Coalition opposes predatory mortgage bill (Consumer and anti-poverty groups seek stronger redress rights and consumer protections). WASHINGTON, D.C. – A bill designed to address abuses in the lending market would leave consumers worse off than if Congress did nothing at all,…
- Consumer/civil liberties response to housing bill. WASHINGTON, DC – October 24, 2007 - A coalition of consumer groups who work on housing and predatory lending issues released a statement today in…
- Disaster-related foreclosure resources for Gulf homeowners (Consumer Action offers free Gulf foreclosure resource fact sheet). Consumer Action has published a free Disaster Relief Resource Sheet for Gulf area homeowners. It contains resources for homeowners in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
- Help Gulf Coast victims keep homes (Advocates stress industry is key to protecting homes and communities). Washington, DC — Leading national and Gulf Coast Area organizations today called upon mortgage lenders and servicers to provide appropriate flexibility in the coming year…
Support Consumer Action
Join Our Email List
- Help Desk
- Submit Your Complaints
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Links to Consumer Resources
- Consumer Service Guide (CSG)